Summer Events: Fun in the Sun
Whether you’re spending the next two months in the cool breeze upstate or down by the Brooklyn Bridge, here are some fun things to do that are sure to spice up those slow days of summer.
NEW YORK CITY
1. Macy’s Fourth of July Fireworks Show: Ever since its debut in 1976, the Macy’s Fourth of July Fireworks display has been a New York summer tradition! This year, join fellow New Yorkers for a night of fun that’s 42 years running.
2. Union Square Weekly Free Events: Union Square is the place to be this summer. Every Thursday now through August 10, "Summer in the Square" is bringing the public a series of free events. From pop-up yoga to live music, there is something for everyone.
3. Grand Bazaar NYC: Hone those haggling and thrifting skills as you peruse through the wares of local artists, designers, and vintage markets. Running every Sunday on the Upper West Side through winter, this weekly market donates 100 percent of its profits to four local schools.
4. Queens International Night Market: Saturday nights in Flushing Meadows Corona Park is truly something special. From empanadas to pierogis to Trinidadian shark sandwiches, experience the flavors of the world in a borough that’s cultivated a unique flavor of its own.
5. Free Jazz on the Waterfront: For all the jazz lovers out there: Hudson River Park is bringing you a series of free live jazz performances all along the west side piers. With a lineup featuring the Chuck Braman Quartet, Sylvia Cuenca Organ Quartet, Michael Marcus, and George Braith, your summer soundtrack will be on point. If Queens is your borough, we recommend the Live at the Gantries series at the Kupferberg Center for the Arts at Queens College, which will feature reimagined jazz classics from the Blue Note Recordings from the Chuck Braman Quintet on August 21.
1. Pleasantville Music Festival: The 14th annual Pleasantville Music Festival will be rocking out on July 14! Featuring The Psychedelic Furs, The Lone Bellow, Lizzie and the Makers, and more. The festival features 18 bands playing a full day of music across three stages.
2. Sounds of Summer 2018: Music Films, Old and New: On July 5, the Jacob Burns Film Center will be kicking of their summer series, which will be celebrating films focused on music, musicians, and the remarkable personalities behind remarkable sound.
3. Scarsdale Farmers Market: Every Thursday, from 11:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m, the Scarsdale Village Center’s outdoor farmer’s market will be featuring some of the finest specialty artisans from around the area. From small batch kombucha to inventive soaps, come check out the best of Westchester!
4. Pops, Patriots, and Fireworks: On July 4, join Westchester Symphonic Winds and two stellar alumni from Caramoor’s Schwab Vocal Rising Stars for a tribute to Leonard Bernstein alongside other classic works. It will end with an early Fourth of July Fireworks spectacular choreographed to Tchaikovsky’s famous 1812 Overture.
5. Sunset Jazz Concerts: The lawn at the historic Lyndhurst Mansion is hosting live jazz every Thursday evening, beginning July 5! The Sunset Jazz Series features notable musicians including Chuck Braman Quintet, Rodney Green Quarter, and more.
On deck: Pace Day at Yankee Stadium! Cheer on the Yanks on Tuesday, July 30, with your fellow Setters for what's sure to be a home run of an evening.
On Deck for 2019
Dyson Professor Marcy Kelly, PhD, has enlisted several students to assist with research in better understanding tuberculosis; including Eric Casper ’19, who views the research as a key component of his undergraduate experience.
Research: Understanding Tuberculosis
Pace Athletics will celebrate the 2019 Athletics Hall of Fame inductees on Thursday April 25. On Monday, June 3, get out that five iron and join the alumni and friends golf challenge.
Athletics: Spring 2019 Events